There is a recognized need to provide pastoral services to congregations whose circumstances make it impossible for them to support the ministry of a full-time, seminary trained pastor. A program has been established to place qualified laymen to serve in a congregation under the supervision of an ordained pastor. This program is called “Lay Ministry Associates” formerly called The Licensed Lay Deacon program.
Deacon’s areas of service, including but not limited to:
• assisting the pastor in administration of sacraments, preaching, and teaching
• developing outreach ministry programs
• developing stewardship programs
• developing small group ministries
• participating in a care-giving ministry including hospital and home visits
• leading education, music or youth ministry programs
• congregational administration
The Lay Deacon Manual and the Policies and Guidelines are in the process of an update. Please contact the President’s office with any questions.